Tonight I discovered my new favorite zucchini recipe, and it couldn’t have come at a better time! We were away all weekend and came home this afternoon after a 4+ hour drive, starving and ready to eat something healthy.
I poked around the yard and found enough produce to fill my largest ceramic platter. The piled high platter included lots of yellow crookneck squash and zucchinis. Here is the very simple, totally heavenly recipe:
- Brush a short-sided pan with olive oil (jelly sheet)
- Slices zucchinis and yellow crookneck squash as thin as possible, roughly 1/4″ lenghtwise
- Arrange on pan and brush with olive oil
- Sprinkle on fresh herbs (lemon balm, thyme, rosemary, etc) and generously shake salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Roast in oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes
- Toast slices of crusty bread. Smear goat cheese on one side. Top with chives.
- Pile roasted squash on the other piece of toasted bread. Make a sandwich with the two. Enjoy a sweet piece of heaven.
After devouring two huge sandwiches tonight, I will boldly say that I will not get sick of zucchini this year. I will still make some zucchini bread, maybe even enough to freeze a few loaves, but these goat cheese and roasted zucchini sandwiches are going to be a twice weekly meal for us. I modified my second sandwich by toasting one piece of bread with the goat cheese already on it, so when it came out of the toaster you could easily smear the cheese over the bread.
I now need to go recover from this delicious memory of dinner, lest I force feed myself too many sandwiches in one evening. So heavenly…