I recently had a reader share with me some of the important benefits of incorporating mulch into permaculture gardens, to which I readily agreed. Then I realized, although I have been doing so in my garden, it’s something I haven’t really talked a lot about here. With Portland’s summer finally on it’s way, and reading the news about the longest drought in 100+ years in LA, what better time than the present to push utilizing mulch in our backyards!
- Retains water which means your plants will dry out slower
- Insulates plants when it’s cold outside (like a fluffy blanket)
- Occupies bare ground that would otherwise be occupied by weeds
- Protects the damp earth from drying out faster by shielding it from the sun
- Adds organic matter that will naturally compost in place, adding nutrients to your soil